Monday, December 22, 2008

The remodel.

I find myself asking myself Why I did this. A Kitchen remodel in the middle of December?? Are you kidding me??? But let me tell you my reasoning... Well As most of you know we have our house up for sale. And we have been having NO luck. After talking to a few people, we decided the biggest downfall of our home was the kitchen. It wasn't aweful but it wasn't great. It had the low cabinets with the amazing black and white checker tile. YUCK!! It had to go! So I proposed this "idea" to Nick about opening it up and doing a little kitchen construction. He said "absolutly not!!" I told him if it doesn't sell then I would have a kitchen I could stand and it would help it to sell. Well,... The more I thought about my idea the more I wanted to do this. Nick kept trying to tell me why it wouldn't work and how it was a bad idea. ( I think he just didn't want to do the work on it )But after a while I just told him "look,.. I am going to do this. And you do this with me or I will have to hire it out!" And needless to say I got my way and We are done with my Kitchen!!! And it only took 15 days!!And I love it!!!! The whole getting it done by Christmas was a big push for us so it wouldn't be dragged on through out the year. And I must say I am SOO glad we are done. It is 3 days before Christmas but we are done!!!! Here is the progress..

This was our kitchen. Notice the beautiful railing on the top of the cabnents and the checker floor. And it is TINY in there!!!





The old dining room.
This was the first day of demolition. We took down the cabinets and there was instant light!! It already looked so much bigger!
Gotta love my ancient 1900 stove. But everything on it still works!!
My mom knocking down the wall. DEMO!!!!
Getting ready to rip up the tile floor. This is My awesome friend Tanya and my mom who helped me this day. Nick was gone to work and we had done all of this in one day!!! SHE WOMAN!!
Yes, ladies we ripped out the floor and the backer board all by ourselves! Anything is possible.It was SOOO much work!! We were so tired and only a few battle wounds. Did I mention this was alot of work!?
The next day or so Nick started puting up a little wall to seperate the kitchen from the front door. And a little sample of my paint color.

Nick is not a drywaller/mudder. Just ask him. This was not the greatest mudding job. Bless his heart :) But beggers can't be choosers.
getting the painting done.
Then the floor. I was so excited for my floor. It is probibly my favorite thing!! I love the dark wood.
Loving the green with the dark floor!!!

The cabinet guy (Russell Jorgenson) putting up our cabinets. FYI- We didn't have to buy any new cabinets. We just re-used the ones we had and rearranged them a bit. I am SO smart!! and frugal!
We got a new stove with a over the range microwave which is awesome to allow for more counter space. It is comming along. New lights and waiting for countertops.
repainting the dining room. I had to stay up many nights painting so my kids could have a Christmas tree set up. (Everything was in the frontroom and we had no room for a tree until we could move everything out.)

Getting countertops. I love them they match the floor perfect!!!
Put new pulls on the cabnents which add SOOO much to the room.
What a mess!!! we got new 2" wood blinds to match. They finish the look.
After alot of dust and clutter, we are done!!! And I love it. I am so sick of painted and touch ups but at least now I have a super nice bigger kitchen and I am ready for Christmas.
This image looks like my floor is split in two but it ts the countertop of the island.




4 comments:

Hansen's said...

Oh my gosh Ash! It looks amazing! I love the green and the dark! It looks real good! Yay! So hopefully this will help, or like you said, it gives you a bigger kitchen! Looks good, see you guys on Christmas! Your house right, at 10?

Amanda said...

It looks soooo good! I LOVE the floor!

Haskell Fam said...

I need to come over and witness with my own! It looks awesome! Love Ya

Heather said...

This is actually Jed. I guess you won't invite me to your blog huh? (if you have a change of heart my email is jedshu@gmail.com) It turned out awesome tell Nick he's the man, he didn't seem too excited about the whole thing the last we spoke. You need your new pics on the MLS silly, unless now you're so much in love with your house that you don't want to sell. :) Later jed.